Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Fresh Eggs with a Side of Zoning

Our generous neighbor gave us some beautiful chicken eggs that were all different colors - browns, tans, green/blues and a single white one - and they were all different sizes too. The variety has been delightful!

Every time I've opened the carton to use them I get to pick a color, a size - it's been fun for my 5 year old twins too who like the blue/green ones. They were surprised when I cracked them open and they looked like the eggs they're used to seeing.

I would love to have chickens (I think - they may be more work that I'm up for, if I'm honest) but the zoning where I live prohibits me from having them. My neighbor lives just over the Marcellus Town line so they're able to have them because the zoning allows for it.

In my work as a real estate agent I talk with more and more people who want pastured chickens - for the health benefits better eggs that deliver a healthy breakfast but also to help reduce the number of ticks in their yards to try to help prevent Lyme Disease. I know several people who have been diagnosed with Lyme Disease with varying degrees of impact - it's truly a scary disease. It seems to me that we could use more chickens in our communities to reduce the tick population.

But back to my original thought, if you know someone who is shopping for a home and may want to have chickens (or livestock) in the future - zoning is important. Here's an example that may surprise you - would you believe that in the Town of Onondaga, you'd have to have at least five acres to have just one chicken? It's true! I worked with a buyer who was interested in a property that had a house, a huge barn, chicken coop and a pond that sat on two beautiful acres. Unfortunately, the property was in the Town of Onondaga so their dream of using this property for some chickens and a few other animals was squashed because it didn't have enough acreage.

Anyone can find out how a property is zoned by calling the municipal office and speaking with the zoning or codes officer - or, if you're in the process of buying a house, your agent can help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Credit Scores & Homebuying

House photo created by rawpixel.com - www.freepik.com Credit scores are important...here's a quick visual where you can see what a ...